What is Urogynecology?

A Urogyenecologist is an obstetrician/gynecologist who specializes in the care of women with pelvic floor dysfunction. A physician with this specialty has completed medical school as well as a four-year residency in obstetrics and gynecology. They then complete three years of specialty (fellowship) training to develop expertise in evaluating and treating women who experience pelvic floor problems. Most fellowships include some training in female urology, colorectal surgery, additional training in gynecology, and up to one full year of clinical research. Urologists can also enter this sub-specialty after completing 5-year residency in Urology.

Do I Need a Urogynecologist?

Pelvic floor dysfunction encompasses a wide variety of disorders which, although not life-threatening, have a significant impact on your quality of life. Although your primary care physician or obstetrician-gynecologist may have knowledge about these problems, a urogynecologist can offer additional expertise. You should see a urogynecologist when you feel that your quality of life is being impacted by the symptoms of pelvic floor dysfunction or when your primary doctor recommends consultation. A urogynecologist also may be consulted when there is need for special expertise in vaginal reconstructive surgery.